Sous Chef / Assistant Food Services Manager | Middleburg, VA
Leading Christian retreat center in historic Northern Virginia is seeking a hands-on, experienced Sous Chef / Assistant Food Services Manager to support Head Chef in supervising and implementing all aspects of organization’s full-service kitchen operation.
Meadowkirk, Inc. (www.meadowkirk.org) is dedicated to providing premier meal services, facilities and accommodations to a variety of groups, including church and other nonprofit retreats, and corporate/academic gatherings. The organization is also developing its own special events and conferences involving speakers and topics consistent with its mission.
Among this key team member’s responsibilities will be the ability to:
- Work with Head Chef, kitchen team and event hosts/staff to ensure a consistently premier guest experience
- Deliver exceptional meal services to guest group retreats and special events, including:
- Preparing and serving a full array of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time meals – both from recipe and from scratch – and meeting the intergenerational, dietary and allergy needs of each guest group;
- Serving as a primary line cook (at least two meals per day during a three-meal cycle);
- Assisting with cookouts and meals catered to groups in meeting rooms on site;
- Interacting with guests during meal service, being consistently welcoming and accommodating – serving them as required and requested;
- Working with Head Chef and other team members to develop/refine menu and pricing;
- Helping to place orders, coordinate/supervise food service deliveries, and store food and food service supplies;
- Participating in maintaining inventory control to reduce waste and spoilage, and maintain a cost-efficient operation;
- Assisting Head Chef in supervising and implementing creative partnerships with regional caterers and restaurants, organic farms, food trucks and other food service-related organizations;
- Assisting Head Chef with the scheduling, management, training and recruitment of kitchen staff, including the Prep Cook/Dishwasher team;
- Meeting and exceeding policies and procedures required by the Board of Health and Meadowkirk’s food services operation and health requirements – to maintain consistent kitchen and dining facility cleanliness and inspection requirements;
- Participating in set up, clean up, restocking, dish washing and sanitation processes in kitchen and dining hall;
- Properly organizing food, equipment and supplies in kitchen, dining hall, pantry, kitchen supply storerooms and in selected guest facilities; and
- Utilizing leftovers and implementing proper food handling and storage procedures.
- Participate in a year-round flexible schedule based on Meadowkirk group reservations and special events calendar. This schedule includes designated weekends (primarily), weekdays and evenings coordinated and balanced in advance with Head Chef
- Work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment – demonstrating excellent time management and multi-tasking skills, as well as the ability to handle constructive feedback well and learn from mistakes
- Help identify, develop and implement new procedures, standards and food service innovations to drive ongoing process improvement, quality, efficiency and the kitchen’s ability to continually exceed guest expectations
- Maintain a strong and consistent focus on details, personal/professional organization, proactive problem solving, team work, dependability and operational excellence
- Demonstrate solid written and verbal communications skills and basic computer skills in the following: MS Office (Excel, Word), Internet browsers and email
- Serve diverse cultures and socio-economic groups so that guests are welcomed and included
- Help ensure the implementation of the highest kitchen quality, safety and cleanliness standards
- Participate in other related duties as assigned
Candidates will have min. 2-3 years of relevant restaurant/food service experience and have ServSafe certification – as well as a desire to work in alignment with the organization’s mission to “create a premier, Christ-centered destination in historic Northern Virginia that provides an idyllic setting for individuals and groups to experience God and the glory of His creation.”
Salary commensurate with experience; benefits package.
Reply via email to Or mail your resume/letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
38012 Delta Farm Ln, Middleburg, VA 20117