Prep Cook (Part Time) | Middleburg, VA
Leading Christian retreat center in historic Northern Virginia is seeking a hands-on, dependable and experienced part-time Prep Cook to assist in all aspects of meal preparation in the organization’s full-service kitchen operation.
Meadowkirk, Inc. (www.meadowkirk.org) is dedicated to providing premier meal services, facilities and accommodations to a variety of groups, including church and other nonprofit retreats, and corporate/academic gatherings. The organization is also developing its own special events and conferences involving speakers and topics consistent with its mission.
Among this team member’s responsibilities will be the ability to:
- Work with Head Chef, kitchen team and event hosts/staff to ensure a consistently premier guest experience
- Help deliver exceptional meal services to guest group retreats and special events, including:
- Assisting in preparing and serving a full array of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time meals – both from recipe and from scratch – and helping to meet the intergenerational, dietary and allergy needs of each guest group;
- Preparing ingredients for the chefs to cook, including: washing, chopping, grating and slicing vegetables, and cutting/slicing meats to appropriate portion sizes;
- Demonstrating superior knife skills and the ability to quickly/safely slice or chop meal ingredients into the exact dimensions called for in recipes;
- Having a strong sense of taste and smell, as well as excellent hand and finger dexterity;
- Possessing a clear understanding of weights and measures, as well as good math and reading comprehension skills;
- Making appetizers, soups and salads so that chefs can concentrate on main dishes;
- Filling in as needed to support the kitchen’s primary line cooks and with bussing tables;
- Cleaning food prep areas, and removing garbage from kitchen and dining areas;
- Assisting with cookouts and meals catered to groups in meeting rooms on site;
- Interacting with guests during meal service, being consistently welcoming and accommodating – serving them as required and requested;
- Making lists of items to be ordered, accepting food service deliveries, helping to store food and food service supplies, rotating stock to help maintain freshness;
- Working in cooperation with Meadowkirk food service partners, including regional caterers and restaurants, organic farms, food trucks and other food service-related organizations;
- Meeting and exceeding policies and procedures required by the Board of Health and Meadowkirk’s food services operation and health requirements – to maintain consistent kitchen and dining facility cleanliness and inspection requirements;
- Participating in set up, clean up, dish washing and sanitation processes in kitchen and dining areas;
- Helping to properly organize and restock food, equipment and supplies in kitchen, dining hall, pantry, kitchen supply storerooms and in selected guest facilities; and
- Utilizing leftovers and implementing proper food handling and storage procedures.
- Participate in a year-round flexible schedule based on Meadowkirk group reservations and special events calendar. This schedule includes designated weekends (primarily), weekdays and evenings coordinated in advance with Head Chef
- Work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment – demonstrating excellent time management and multi-tasking skills, as well as the ability to handle constructive feedback well and learn from mistakes
- Maintain a strong and consistent focus on details, personal/professional organization, proactive problem solving, team work, dependability, following instructions correctly and overall operational excellence
- Serve diverse cultures and socio-economic groups so that guests are welcomed and included
- Help ensure the implementation of the highest kitchen quality, safety and cleanliness standards
- Participate in other related duties as assigned
Candidates will have min. 1-3 years of relevant restaurant/food service experience and have ServSafe certification – as well as a desire to work in alignment with the organization’s mission to “create a premier, Christ-centered destination in historic Northern Virginia that provides an idyllic setting for individuals and groups to experience God and the glory of His creation.”
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Reply via email to Or mail your resume/letter of interest to: email@example.com
38012 Delta Farm Ln, Middleburg, VA 20117